Sunday 5 June 2011

DIY feather project: Make your own feather sleeve top

I loved this Bird top from Juicy Couture which I came across on Outnet for €99. I did not, however, have €99 to spare.



So.........I took:
One plain H&M black vest top for €6.95 ( deliberately plain as I was worried anything fussier could lead to more of a panto than rock chick look) I bought a size too big as I wanted it looking slightly baggy for the same casual, not-too-dressy look.


One length of feather trim/fringe. I chose this long black hackle feather by lovelyfeather on http://www.etsy.com/ for €7.70 as I wanted a cap sleeve effect but was very tempted by the peacock one, lots to choose from on Etsy.



One open ended zip, this one is a 10inch zip from Minerva Crafts and Fabrics UK on Ebay for €2.36.
I've picked an open ended one because I want to be able to remove the feather trim (sewn onto one half of the zip) completely so I can wash the top. Don't even attempt to wash feathers, you end up with sad stringy looking things that look awful. And if the feather does get grubby over time I have lots left to replace it with!


Separate the two halves of the zip:


I intended placing the zips so that the zipper head would be towards the back but a slight miscalculation and a large lack of patience meant they're both at the front (and one is facing backwards which I think is impossible to avoid but looks fine) but feel free to do it correctly yourslves!

First of all sew the piece of zip with no zipper head along the back of the vest strap so that all but the teeth of the zip are hidden behind the material of the strap (I added it to this piece in case washing the top repeatedly would damage/chip the zipper head?) I am very sloppy and never measure anything but it would be wise to make sure you are placing the middle of the zip piece exactly on the top of the shoulder strap.

Then sew the feather fringe onto the other half of the zip, with the ribbon trim of the feather fringe covering all but the teeth of the zip. Anywhere you cut the feather fringe sew along the edge to prevent any of the feather falling out.

Ta-da!




Even more camera-shy than usual, have nasty bloodshot eye!


If you don't like the shiny effect of the satin trim of the ribbon on the feather fringe make sure to look for one with a matt trim.
Excuse the shocking quality of the photos, I do not have enough patience to take more!
Quite pleased with my efforts! Total cost came to less than 20 euros and a small amount of simple sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment