Tuesday 26 April 2011

Maxis for slinky minxes

Looking through the Spring/Summer lookbooks there are so many beautiful long floaty dresses to drool over.
The problem with most of the maxis out there ( and the reason I haven't yet invested in one) is that the usual empire waist does absolutely nothing for shorter girls (I'm 5 ft3) or any of us who have a normal size top half, and the material-heavy gypsy styles can lead to a tent-like and distinctly unflattering silhouette. But the new 70s vibe feeding into collections is reflected in lower and more flattering waistlines and a more alluring skinky fit which looks fantastic with the average curvier figure.
 
Ellie Saab Spring Summer 2011 -the "if only " option. A simple dress but she looks like a goddess!

  
Halston Heritage €675 on ASOS-the slightly more affordable option. Would actually be less floaty and more flattering with less of or no slit at all. Sew it up!

  
Ellie Saab 2011-gorgeous wispy lace creation. The floaty sleeves are balanced by the belted waist and the absence of detail at the bottom of the skirt gives the illusion of a narrowing there.

Alberta Ferretti Spring 2011-fabric falling in folds onto the feet, simple but sexy.

Alberta Ferretti again, a more billowing skirt but the sheer material means the leaner line of the legs can be seen. I love the whole collection. All of it! Very gypsy-airy-wood-fairy!


Karen Millen-beautiful, black silk with boat neck to make even me seem willowy, just gorgeous. Might be my inner goth coming out?
 I don't like the ankle length maxi, I think it interferes with the long line the dress should be creating of the body to have two big feet sticking out the bottom but I'm sure taller girls could work it.

Monsoon - this very cute, very retro tapered maxi lessens the tent-effect and keeps the silhouette long and lean.
Atelier Versace 2011-if I am reincarnated as a superhero this will be my costume, I love the amazing detail on the bodice and the almost medieval panel leading down the front of the skirt. And this is my all-time favourite colour.
Lots of material here but all kept to the back whle front is tapered inwards.

Atelier Versace 2011 again, Seventies meet Twenties, it looks as though the dress has been poured over the model.

Atelier Versace-slightly tapered silhouette again, would make an amazing wedding dress.


Ports1961 Spring 2011-lots of material here but cut to drape against the legs for a narrower outline. Lots of metallics out there for Spring/Summer 2011. Yippee!

Coast Allure silk maxi €236 on ASOS. Floaty as hell, I acknowledge but am having difficulty finding a metallic maxi ( or indeed a slinky one of any shade) on the high street.
Bronze maxi skirt Roksanda Ilincic on Outnet.com-discounted to €416 

                                                    Crazy beautiful dress of the day!:
Aqua Bolivia €118 on ASOS-this is a showstopper I think! The model's hair is exactly as it should be with this dress. WANT!!!
I tell a lie. I did once own a maxi but there was an unfortunate episode where someone congratulated me on the " bambino" and that maxi was never seen in public again...................

No comments:

Post a Comment